Our efforts require urgent and diverse funding sources in order to meet the testing needs of the first responder and medical communities, as well as the community at large, in the weeks and months to come.
Please click below to donate to our ongoing efforts through the University of Hawaiʻi Foundation.
Your gift will be directed to the COVID-19 & Infectious Disease Research (12949604) fund, whose purpose is in support of research and service activities supporting Emerging & Infectious Diseases, including COVID-19.
We are working with the University to seek federal monies through the CARES Act to support the majority of this work. In addition, we are working with the HI-EMA, City and County of Honolulu, and the DOH Behavioral Administration to determine whether these entities may be able to support key aspects of this work. Dr. Rosie Alegado and Katy Hintzen are the leads on community support and funding outreach. Dr. Vivek R. Nerurkar is serving as the Principal Investigator for the TMC Lab, as well as being the technical and scientific lead and is fully engaged with our community support and funding leads.
As a public service and research-oriented clinical lab, the TMC Lab is continually seeking partnership opportunities with public and private entities to support COVID-19 diagnostic testing needs as well as research, development, validation of new testing and therapeutic strategies.
Annual Expenses for the TMC Lab (assuming an annual testing volume of 100,000) include:
- $607,622 in personnel including a federally certified lab director, research technicians, an epidemiologist, and two registered nurses.
- $200,000 to establish a HIPAA secure system for tracking and reporting test results.
- $2,845,017 for testing supplies (RT-PCR kits and consumables)
- On April 1, 2020 the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM), University of Hawaiʻi at Manoa (UHM) Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) application was approved (CLIA ID# 12D2181358). This certification is required for a laboratory to accept patient samples and test for SARS-CoV-2, the causative agent of COVID-19.
- With approval from the Dean of the JABSOM, we have identified Biosafety Level-2 (BSL-2) certified laboratory space and appropriate staff to oversee the sample collection and processing including a CLIA-certified director, CLIA-certified medical consultant, certified research technicians, an epidemiologist, and two registered nurses.